As I mentioned in my post, Making Plans for Rally Week, we needed to “pack our depends.” As in, the length and distance of the trip depends on many factors. Time off from work being the biggest one for the Biker Chef. We left Sunday, August 4, at noon, and returned home on Wednesday, August 7, in the evening. It was a quick trip out and back, and we made the most of the shortened time. It was Mr. Happy’s first trip to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, and he was pumped!

Sturgis Rally 2013, the Journey
Mr. Happy on his way to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, 2013!
The first day, we left home (Brainerd, MN) at noon. We met up with the Chef’s friend Mike in Wahpeton, ND, and rode on together to Pierre, SD. It was a gorgeous night for a ride, overcast, and a little cool, but not windy. At times the sun streamed through the clouds or shined through the busted out windows of abandoned farm houses. Many times I wished I had my camera out to capture the colors of the setting sun over the prairie. You can see for miles across the plains, fields of wheat, corn, soybeans, sunflowers, and prairie grass. When the sun sets below the clouds, they turn pink like cotton candy, and I feel like I’m in a picture. On a bike, all your senses are engaged. You feel the wind and smell the earth and farms, from fresh cut hay to hog barns. It was good to see SD so green this year. Last year, it was a dry, brown ride.
The first day out, you’re excited and fresh and ready to put on the miles. With a later start, we made it to Pierre, SD, and called it a day, over 400 miles and eight hours in the saddle! We stayed at the Best Western Ramkota which has great rooms, excellent breakfast and reasonable rates. They gave us the HOG discount (also offer a AAA discount), which is great, considering the closer you get to Sturgis during rally week, the higher the rates and lower chance of finding a room. We met a group of six bikers from Quebec, Canada. It was the second time for a few of the men, and the first rally for at least one in their party.
I decided not to bring my laptop along on this trip because it was considerably shorter than last year’s adventure and I didn’t expect much chance to blog. The first day, we ride pretty hard and there isn’t much to write about, or photos to share. I figured the second day we wouldn’t have Wi-Fi at the little mom & pop motor inn, and I was right. The next thing we knew, we were home. So, you’re getting the story after we’re back, safe and sound.
Check back tomorrow to find out how Mr. Happy ended up like this, and to read about his adventures at the big rally.
Sturgis Rally 2013, the Journey
Mr. Happy after a day at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
Journey on, and Happy trails to YOU!